Dec 03, 2023
ENGL 227 - World Fiction
PREREQUISITES: ENGL 111 - English Composition
PROGRAM: Liberal Arts
CREDIT HOURS MIN: 3
LECTURE HOURS MIN: 3
DATE OF LAST REVISION: Summer, 2011
This general survey course introduces the genre of fiction through a focus on world authors. It examines themes and literary devices present in novels and short stories.
MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be expected to:
- Read an extensive sampling of fiction from around the world.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of fictional elements.
- Identify, discuss, and analyze literary and artistic techniques found in selected works.
- Demonstrate awareness of recurring thematic concepts present in selected works.
- Recognize the diversity of worldviews of selected authors.
COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
- Elements of fiction
- Plot and conflict
- Point of view
- Short stories/novels genres
- Literary devices
Course Addendum - Syllabus (Click to expand)