Dec 03, 2023
EDSN 203 - Professional Practice
PREREQUISITES: GRDN 114 - Garden Design or EDSN 103 - Introduction to Environmental Design
PROGRAM: Environmental Design
CREDIT HOURS MIN: 3
LECTURE HOURS MIN: 3
DATE OF LAST REVISION: Fall, 2019
Introduction to business principles and practices as they relate to the environmental design profession. Includes business formation and management, professional ethics and organizations, certification and licensing, design liability and project management. Students will identify key considerations for providing design services in a global marketplace.
MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this course the student will be expected to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical business practices and facilities management principles.
- Demonstrate sales techniques through critiques, presentations, and realistic client situations, as well as communication styles across various cultures.
- Identify global and sustainable business practices in relationship to the environmental design profession.
- Identify differences in business protocol, gift giving and negotiations.
- Identify potential international ventures, opportunities and sources of information.
- Prepare a written business plan presentation to include the following information:
- Formulation of the business.
- Design project analysis.
- Setting up a design studio.
- Staff and consultants.
- Marketing and advertising procedures.
- Contracts and letters of agreement.
- Fee basis.
- Management techniques.
- Balance sheet or cash flow statement.
- Conduct an oral presentation to jury and demonstrate.
- Appropriate sales techniques.
- Appropriate use of business vocabulary.
- Justification of business plan.
- Prepare a letterhead and business card.
- Prepare resume and cover letter.
- Consider a global approach to resume.
- Highlight personal exposure to international travel and interaction experience with various cultures.
COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
- Establishing a business
- Logos, and letterheads
- Marketing and public relations
- Sales techniques
- Establishing client relationships
- Job book
- Letters of Agreements and contracts
- Resume writing
- Bookkeeping and accounting methods
- Methods of compensation
- Developing a business plan
Course Addendum - Syllabus (Click to expand)