Dec 03, 2023
MKTG 101 - Principles of Marketing
PREREQUISITES: Demonstrated competency through appropriate assessment or earning a grade of “C” or better in ENGL 083 - Reading Strategies for College and ENGL 093 - Introduction to College Writing , or ENGL 095 - Integrated Reading and Writing or ENGL 075 - Co-Requisite Integrated Readin and MATH 023 - Essentials of Algebra or MATH 080 - Mathematical Principles or higher.
COREQUISITES: Demonstrated competency through appropriate assessment or earning a grade of “C” or better in MATH 023 - Essentials of Algebra or MATH 080 - Mathematical Principles or higher.
PROGRAM: Business Administration
CREDIT HOURS MIN: 3
LECTURE HOURS MIN: 3
DATE OF LAST REVISION: Spring, 2018
Introduces environmental analysis, marketing research, consumer behavior, segmenting, targeting, positioning, branding, product management, price strategy, supply chain management, integrated marketing communications, and market analytics and control. Develop a basic marketing plan.
MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon the successful completion of this course the student will be expected to:
- Analyze the nature of marketing in a competitive market, and how it functions in domestic and global economies.
- Describe the various environmental factors affecting marketing decisions.
- Explain how mission, situational analysis, objectives, positioning, and product and market analysis affect planning, forecasting and overall marketing strategy.
- Explain the process of marketing research and its influences on marketing strategy.
- Apply market segmentation, describe its relationship to selecting a target market, and discuss its effect on the success of the marketing plan.
- Explain the purchase decision process and influences that affect consumer behavior.
- Discuss and explain how logistics, marketing channels, and supply chain management create utility.
- Discuss pricing strategy as it relates to markets, segments, and profitability.
- Explain the correlation between marketing metrics and customer relationship management in providing feedback to identify gaps in meeting marketing objectives.
- Construct an integrated marketing plan.
COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
- Competitive advantage
- Environmental analysis
- Marketing research process
- Consumer decision making process
- Decision process influences
- Problem solving behavior
- Segmentation variables
- Consumer markets
- Organizational markets
- Target market
- Market potential
- Market share
- Situation analysis
- Marketing objectives
- Product life cycle
- Product Lines
- Product Types
- Perceptual Maps
- Price elasticity
- Price strategy
- Value creation
- Channel conflict
- Physical distribution considerations
- Intensity of market coverage
- Promotion mix
- Marketing metrics
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Marketing concept
- Customer relationship management
- Marketing Mix
- Advertising Campaigns
- Marketing plan
- Customer service
Course Addendum - Syllabus (Click to expand)