Dec 03, 2023
HUMS 110 - Women’s Issues
PREREQUISITES: Demonstrated competency through appropriate assessment or earning a grade of “C” or better in ENGL 083 - Reading Strategies for College and ENGL 093 - Introduction to College Writing , or ENGL 095 - Integrated Reading and Writing , or ENGL 075 - Co-Requisite Integrated Reading & Writing .
PROGRAM: Human Services
CREDIT HOURS MIN: 3
LECTURE HOURS MIN: 3
DATE OF LAST REVISION: Fall, 2015
Major issues and social problems related to women through an interdisciplinary analysis of social institutions and movements for social change as they affect women. Focus is on 21st century trends in institutions such as the family, law, medicine, education and other social interaction.
MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this course the student will be expected to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the multifaceted problems facing women globally.
- Examine current issues surrounding work related stereotyping, open and closed professions and inequality in the workplace.
- Describe differential treatment between genders regarding prestige and accreditibility of performance.
- Illustrate the demeaning of women in sexual advertising by business and the media.
- Trace the historical perspective of advances achieved by various women’s movements in our culture.
- Explain how culture values, both present and historical, have portrayed the role of women in our society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the backlash against feminism.
- Identify sexual harassment issues in the workplace.
- Evaluate the demands of society for women within the family setting.
- Identify societal restrictions for single parents and differences for gender.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the gendered healthcare system.
COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
- Issues facing women due to cultural differences
- Gender issues and differences in the workforce
- Exploitation of women by the advertising industry
- Effects of harassment in the workplace
- Gender inequalities throughout the healthcare system
Course Addendum - Syllabus (Click to expand)