Dec 03, 2023
PSYC 101 - Introduction to Psychology
PREREQUISITES: Demonstrated competency through appropriate assessment or earning a grade of “C” or better in ENGL 093 - Introduction to College Writing and ENGL 083 - Reading Strategies for College or ENGL 095 - Integrated Reading and Writing , or ENGL 075 - Co-Requisite Integrated Reading & Writing
PROGRAM: Behavioral Sciences
CREDIT HOURS MIN: 3
LECTURE HOURS MIN: 3
DATE OF LAST REVISION: Fall, 2018
Surveys behavior and cognitive processes as they affect the individual. The course focuses on biological foundations, learning processes, research methodologies, personality, human development and abnormal and social psychology.
MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this course the student will be expected to:
- Identify and differentiate theoretical perspectives of psychology.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of research methods.
- Exhibit a fundamental understanding of the biological basis of behavior.
- Demonstrate an understanding of classical and operant conditioning, and social cognitive learning.
- Identify theories and characteristics of cognition and memory.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the major theories of personality.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of physical, cognitive, emotional and social aspects of human development to include a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of symptoms, classification, treatment and causes of psychological disorders.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how society and culture in various world contexts impacts individual behavior and cognition.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of motivation and emotional theories.
- Identify and discuss situations in which psychology affects everyday life.
COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
- History of psychology
- Major psychological perspectives
- Research methods
- Biological functioning
- Social psychology
- Motivation and emotion
- Psychological disorders & treatments
Course Addendum - Syllabus (Click to expand)